Kelly: Uncover your Gifts



Kelly's story is excerpts from a wonderful book that I'm reading called The Eighth Day of Creation: By Elizabeth O'Connor.

" Somewhere I heard a story about Michelangelo's pushing a huge piece of rock down a street. A curious neighbor sitting lazily on the porch of his house called to him and inquired why he labored so over an old piece of stone. Michelangelo is reported to have answered, " 

Because there is an angel in that rock that wants to come out."

This story comes to mind when I think about gifts or talents give to each of us. Every person has the task of releasing angles by shaping and transfiguring the raw materials that lie about him so that they become houses and machinery and pictures and bridges. How we do this- how we build the earth,  is determined by the discovery and the use of our gifts. 

From Collages

Because our gifts carry us out into the world and make us participants in life, the uncovering of them is one of the most important tasks confronting any one of us. When we talk about being true to ourselves- being the persons we are intended to be- we are talking about gifts.

We cannot be ourselves unless we are true to our gifts.

When we talk about vocation, whether we are artists or engineers, we are talking about gifts. In a discussion about commitment, we are on the same subject for the place of our concrete involvement is determined by our gifts. Serious reflection on almost any aspect of our lives leads into a consideration of gifts. "






From june 2012

I have found that my artwork, my creativity, sharing, and encouraging others, those are my gifts. And I must say when I am engulfed in activities that involve the use of my gifts, I feel at home, I feel light, and joyful.

What are your gifts? Are you sharing them?


From june 2012

Kelly was woven with 5/2 cotton from the Mannings. 
She was woven in a reverse twill pattern, which almost looks like a big V
I created the woven section awhile ago, but wanted to add something to it, it didn't seem complete, not did it really reflect my style. 

I've been working with crochet lately so I decided to add a free from crochet edge. The freedom to crochet with no plan or pattern is probably one of my favorite elements about crochet, and the reason that I switched from knitting to crocheting. I make the pattern go however I feel which creates an open lace like edge. And adds a wonderful new element to the piece. 

From june 2012
From june 2012

Pin It

No comments: