Jordana: The Scarf of Many Textures


From april 2012

While creating I've come to realize that one of my favorite things to do is mix materials and techniques to get a variety of textures. Jordana has two crocheted edges. One edge is one row of shell crochet, with one end have five rows of shell crochet to really bring another color and texture to the piece. 

I never considered adding crochet to my work until I saw a tea towel where that someone had purchased and then added their own crocheted edge. Suddenly I realized I could use the same idea on my work. The more open and light weight the weave, the easier it is to crochet into. You simply stick your crochet hook right through the fabric and begin crocheted. 

To complete Jordana there  are three rows of knotting, that then flow into a braid at the end. I first braided three sections and then braided those sections together, creating another texture. 

I started doing the long braid at the end of some of my pieces for two reasons. 

1. When weaving, at the end there is always a few feet of what is called waste yarn, that can't be woven because of the loom set up, I hated wasting any yarn. They braid now uses the waste.

2. I liked how it looks, and the braid makes it easy to tie the scarf into place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Jordana's Story

" Creativity is a central source of meaning in our lives for several reasons. First, most of the things that are interesting, important, and human are the results of creativity. We share 98 percent of our genetic makeup with chimps. What makes us different- our language, values, artistic expression, scientific understanding, and technology- is the result of individual ingenuity that was recognized, rewarded, and transmitted through learning. Without creativity, it would be difficult indeed to distinguish humans from apes.

The second reason creativity is so fascinating is that when we are involved in it, we feel that we are living more fully than during the rest of life.

 The excitement of the artist at the easel or the scientist in the lab comes close to the ideal fulfillment we all hope to get from life, and so rarely do. 

Creativity leaves an outcome that adds to the richness and complexity of the future. " - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi



Jordana made me spring to life, her colors, her textures, everything about her gave me energy and made me feel more alive, awake, and connected.  Jordana is a perfect example of what happens when the artist and the artwork connect to one another and give and take so that can be fully alive. 
From april 2012
From april 2012
From april 2012
Pin It

No comments: