A handwoven scarf named:Karen

From spring scarves 2012


I named this scarf after my mom. It was the first scarf that ended up being part of a series of very bright, vibrant, happy scarves, and it reminded me of my mom. When I look at my life, where I am, what I'm doing, I often surprise myself, and sometimes wonder how did I get here, how did I do that?

And the answer is support. I grew up with parents that always believed in me, and always encouraged me. They noticed that I had love for art, and fosters an environment that allowed that love to grow. But I think more important than that, they simply always made me believe that I could succeed if I tried, and they were there to help along the way.

My mom always said that she wanted to raise children that were independent. I believe that my parents succeeded in doing this with both my brother and I. And I think that this shows more than anything in my work. When I create, I'm creating because I love to, because I connect to the process. Of course I hope that there are people out there that love the work as much as I do. But I am not trying to fit into the latest fashion trend, I"m trying to create my own trend. I"m not interested in creating 20 scarves that are the same, I"m interested in creating Indpendant pieces, that have a voice, that have a vision, and that won't stray from that for anyone.

From spring scarves 2012


My mom is strong, indepdant. loving, joyful women, and she taught me to be the same way. She has always been there, and always supported me, even if she doesn't totally understand what I"m doing. And this scarf represents all of that to me. It is bright, bold, confident, and beautiful. It is also soft, kind, and loving. It is my mother.




From spring scarves 2012



I hear every scarf saying this to me, but I also hear the voice of my mother. Encouraging me to not strive to fit in, but to be me.
From spring scarves 2012
Source: etsy.com via Amber on Pinterest


Pin It

No comments: