PA Guild of Craftsman: A Support System


From june 2012

Finding a place to belong and connect is important for both you and your work. Being an artist, creating, takes a toll, it asks you to give a lot, it asks you to spend a lot of time in solitude and silence. And if you're going to make it, if you're going to keep on making, you need to find a support system. A group of people that understand. People that aren't offended when you disappear for days on end into the amazing depths of your creative space. 

You need people that will both support your work, and be honest about your work. 
From june 2012

For most, while in school, this group is easily accessible. In high school they are your classmates, your art teachers, then if you go onto college and study art you are once again surrounded by other creative individuals. Everyday is filled with looking at art, making art, talking about art, and it becomes simple to live, breath, and sleep art..... Then you graduate. You are launched into the world, and your creative support system is scattered... you find that suddenly you are on your own. You can make art, or you can try to walk away. There is no one pushing you, no one critiquing you, most people around you are not even aware that you are an artist. You now have a choice. Do you continue to create. Do you let people know that you are an artist, or do you let that part of you disappear?
From june 2012

I say hold onto it, share it. You are an artist, don't ignore that part of you. But if you want to survive you need to find a new support system. A new group. I am thankful that I stumbled across the Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsman. I am ashamed to say that I was unaware of this great group of creative people that lived in my backyard while I was growing up. And now am thankful that I discovered them. The PA Guild is a great group of like minded people, that love making, supporting, and sharing art. I joined my local chapter, the Yellow Breeches, two years ago, and am now surrounded by others who create. 

The Guild opened new doors to me. I never knew much about craft shows or selling my work in general. Through the guild I was able to do my first craft show with experienced and supportive people all around me. 

If you're a maker and feel like you are on an island, find a group. See if there is a guild in your area. If not make one. You are not the only maker looking for a support system. But find a system. You need one!
From june 2012
From june 2012
Pin It

No comments: