Hannah: keep trying


From april 2012

Lately I"ve felt a bit lost, I've had trouble getting back into the studio and getting into the grove of things. After leaving the studio for awhile, I always find it to be such a challenge to get back into the studio and really be present while I"m there. Not thinking about everything else that I have to do. I've been rereading the book Art & Fear, and this quote by Stephen DeStaebler really struck me; " Artists don't get down to work until the pain of working is exceeded by the pain of not work."

This struck me because I feel like I"m in battle with myself right now. Having the need to create, and the desire to not reopen myself, to expose myself as the artwork requires.

However the scarves are being kind, they are working out well, they are bright and colorful and fun. They seem to know that I needed to be lifted, while at the same time they are requested that I once again expose myself, that I become bare, and I am thankful for their kindness and understanding.
From april 2012

I don't all remember the artist or what I was watching, but I do remember that while watching an interview of an artist, that artist stated that even if you're not creating you should spend time sitting in your studio everyday. That if you want to stand a chance at creating, at new ideas, you need to at least put yourself in the space. For some reason that has always stuck with me. And so I try to at least sit in my studio everyday. And most of the time it works. As I"m there in my space surrounded by materials that I love, I begin to get ideas.
From april 2012
From april 2012
From april 2012
From april 2012
From april 2012

I have always been a lover of mixed media art and am having fun bringing that concept into my work. Most of my scarves are made by using at least two different techniques. I like the variety of textures that come with different materials and different techniques.

I first woven this piece using plain weave. Plain weave it the woven structure that most people are familiar with, the basic under over pattern. One of my favorite parts of weaving still, is seeing how the colors mix and affect each other. When weaving you have to think about color much differently than if you are doing a painting, as colors are more like overlays, and they change each other.

After the piece was woven, I separated the ends into three sections and braided them, those three braids were then braided together into once piece. Next I added a crocheted edge. I only like to crochet one edge as I enjoy asymmetry. And finally I found a pile of circular gold findings that I had purchased awhile ago and decided to add them to complete the textile.
From april 2012
From april 2012


Pin It

No comments: