Sunday Scarves

Photobucket

I wanted to take some time and share with you the newest scarves that I have been making.This wonderful red one is my  most recent. I am always looking to learn new patterns and new techniques on the loom. While weaving I am interested and conntected to the process of discovery. I watching how colors react when they are interwoven, as well as what can happen with new patterns. While viewing the show "A Craftsman's Journey- Enhancing People's Lives", there was a wonderful scarf there that had bits of a thicker yarn running throughout, this interested me. So I did a little bit of reading and then decided to give it a try. This piece is not the same as what I saw, but I am happy with the result, and love that it is different on each side, making it two great scarves in one. This scarf can be yours today http://etsy.com/shop/amberkane, free shippin!

Photobucket

Weaving as an art form is very specific and organized, which ironically is the opposite of my personality. I tend to be free and rather disorganized, so I felt a need to find a way to marry the two while keeping a high level of craftsmanship.

Photobucket

Last summer I decided to not work and to not go back to school. I was determined to merge my work and voice into a weaving style that I  could call my own. My days were spent riding my bike 20 miles, and then spending the rest of my day in the studio. During the early morning bike rides I began to be mesmerized by the fields of crops that I passed daily and the scenery began to impact my work.



I felt that there was a great deal of beauty in these fields that most people were missing, and I wanted to find a way to bring it to them. Through the journey of transforming the fields into functional accessories I was able to bring together the craft of weaving and my free flowing personality.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Each scarf is created by weaving 6 yards of fabric. After the piece is woven I take it off of the loom and pull on the weft strings to create the texture. I pull until I am happy with how it looks and how it feels. I also enjoy watching the scarf transform as each weft thread is pulled. As I left go of following strict patterns and specific rules, I was able to bring myself to my weaving and my weaving began to bring life to me, creating a wonderful partnership between the maker and the created.




Photobucket

Photobucket

http://etsy.com/shop/amberkane Pin It

No comments: