Creativity is work

Recent days have been busy, frustrating, and confusing. I had little time in the studio, and was feeling the effects of my days taking a toll on my body. When I finally had time to return to the studio, feeling the yarn flow through my hands was so wonderfully soft, smooth and consistent I never wanted to leave. I found peace and comfort in the repetition of counting

1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.......
1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10........ 

and then moving onto 

1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2

as I prepared the yarn and the loom for weaving






To some this may seem annoying, to me it was the only thing that promised to do exactly what it said that it would do. It was only thing that made sense, and was willing to work with me. And so I settled in and prayed that I would never have to leave. ( in the back of my mind, I knew that I would, but it's good to pretend)

While creating is some of the hardest work that I do, it also feeds my soul along the way. I find that making, working with ones self and the materials at hand pulls from the depth of your soul, and is often painful, however, the process of creating seems to know exactly how far and how hard it can push the maker before they totally break, and I find rest and peace in knowing that I will be stretched beyond belief, but that I will also learn through the process, and something wonderful will appear at the end of the battle. 

If creating was simple, everyone would do it, and no one would learn or grow from the process. Creating, truly creating is extremely challenging, it asks for all of you at all times. The creative mind is not patient, it does not sleep ( in fact it really kicks into gear when we start to rest) , it does not only whisper ideas to you at convenient times, and sometimes it seems to disappear at the times when you need it the most.

Milton Glaser has this to say about creative people, " There's no such thing as a creative type." he says , " As if creative people can just show up and make stuff up. As if it were that easy. I think people need to be reminded that creativity is a verb, a very time-consuming verb. It's about taking an idea in your head, and transforming that idea into something real. And that's always going to be a long and difficult process. If you're doing it right, it's going to feel like work."

When you are looking at a work of art, you are viewing much more than paint on a canvas, words on a page, or threads overlapping. You are looking at a dream, a struggle, a beautiful battle to survive. You are looking at the artist inside out. So look with intention, and try to understand what the maker went through to create this piece. Touch with extreme gentleness as it's far more fragile than the thinnest piece of glass. Speak with truth and kindness in a whisper just loud enough to hear. Stand in silent awe and listen for the calming voice counting 1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2.1.2..... as you are transported into the world were magic happens.... into the mind of an artist. 

Nancy Anderson, neuroscientist at  the University of Iowa said , " If you're at the cutting edge then you're going to bleed."
Pin It

No comments: