Amber Kane's Scarf Collection

I was at a craft show, and a few of the customers were asking me how many different people made the scarves in my booth. I explained that it was just me, I design and make all of them. They seemed shocked as there were so many different styles and techniques. I love learning and experimenting, and the result of that process is a whole lot of different scarves.

I was also asked if I was ever afraid that I would run out of ideas and no longer be able to make one of kind pieces. Truthfully there are moments when I'm afriad that I will have no more good ideas, but I think that I fear that creeps into the mind of every creative person. But as I thought about it, no, I really don't think that I will run out of ideas. There are tons of weaving structures, so far I only work with two of them, in five years, two structures. Then throw in color combinations, adding stitching detail, crocheting, metal, and who knows what else. I"m pretty sure that I will run out of time before I run out of ideas. My mind seems to move at much faster pace than my hands.
From spring scarves 2012
From spring scarves 2012
 I"ve enjoyed creating for as long as I can remember. My grandmother was an avid knitter, sewer, and emboriderer. My first memories of creating with fiber, go back to when my grandmother would sew and knit clothes for my dolls. I loved the pieces that she made and wanted to be able to do it myself.

In elementary school I learn how to knit, crochet and embroidery, and soon was knitting hats and book marks for all of my friends. My love for creating and yarn only grew. And I have continued to work in all of the processes that I learned as a child. The above piece is free form crocheted, and the put into the washer to turn to felt. I love making these, as I never know what the end result will be. I decided to make this one assymetrical, so one end is wider than the other, and has a fun ruffle along the side.


From spring scarves 2012
From spring scarves 2012

Most of my work has at least some element of weaving involved. I love experimenting on the loom, and developing new designs. This piece has a lot of very open parts, allowing the warp threads to be fully exposed. It also makes this scarf perfect for warmer weather.

From spring scarves 2012
From spring scarves 2012
 A traditional element of weaving is having "waste threads", as there are parts of the warp that can not be woven because of how the loom works. I hate wasteing any yarn, so I began playing with braiding what would be the waste ends. This opened up a whole new world of designs and possiblites.


From spring scarves 2012
From spring scarves 2012



From spring scarves 2012
From spring scarves 2012
From spring scarves 2012

This piece took a long time, but I had such a blast making it. It's woven, I then did some embroidery, and free form crochet along the edge. The crochet part by far took the longest, but the end result was worth it. This scarf is so much fun to wear, and goes great with jeans a t- shirt. Or works as a wrap around an evening gown.
From spring scarves 2012



From spring scarves 2012
From spring scarves 2012
Pin It

No comments: