12 by 2012

Well I am thrilled to say that I can cross another goal off of my 12 by 2012 list. I wanted to make 4 more scarves with metal and completed the number 3 and 4 over the weekend. Not only am I glad to have another goal complete, but I really enjoyed making them. Don't miss out, these babies sell out fast, and there are only 4 currently in stock. These make awesome gifts, or are also a perfect way to treat yourself and brighten your own day. Each piece is my own design and one of kind.

The story about how this design came to life: It was Christmas Eve last year and I had yet to complete my mom's Christmas gift. I know I should have started early, but just didn't. So I was in a bit of a rush. I was making her a scarf but trying a new design, not a good plan when in a rush. I totally miscalculated and took the piece off of the loom, with a lot of extra warp hanging from the end, too much to waste, not enough for what I had had in mind. I really try hard not to waste matierals, and my time, so I needed to figure out how to make this piece work. I decided to french braid the warp and see what would happen, and it ended up looking pretty cool. It also ended up being a great scarf to wear as it was light weight, and the braid made the scarf easy to tie into place.

So how did the metal get added. Along with being a textile artist, I"m also a high school art teacher, and teach a jewelry class. I love wearing necklaces, and also love wearing scarves, and often have trouble deciding which to wear. You can't really wear both as the scarf tends to cover the necklace. So I decided that I wanted to make a scarf that was both a scarf and a necklace. So I decided to try adding metal to the braided pieces, and the Chime Scarf emerged.

Nohing better than when mistakes turn into something AWESOME.
From metal scarves
From metal scarves
From metal scarves
From metal scarves
From metal scarves
From metal scarves
From metal scarves
Pin It

No comments: